CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Defeating the Sunday Morning Mommy Monster

Ever since I posted about my Sunday morning struggles, I've been trying to slay the Sunday Morning Mommy Monster. I took an objective look at the time between waking up and leaving the house and observed the following things:

1. I spend a lot of time looking for shoes - baby shoes (2 pairs) and my own. They get lost because Headbanger likes to play with them during the week. She puts individual shoes in her secret hiding places, like the kitchen cabinets, and then I can never find what I need. This, more than any other thing, triggers the monster within to start raging.

2. I spend some time trying to find the pieces to cute baby/toddler outfits. It takes me at least ten minutes to decide what outfits the girls should wear and then find matching tights.

3. The diaper bag is never as ready as I think it is. There are always lots of last-minute additions.

4. 50% of the time, Headbanger pulls her pony tails out before we even get to church, so its not worth spending a lot of time on them.

Solution: find the baby shoes the night before, set out the girls' outfits the night before and get started on the diaper bag the night before and don't stress about toddler hair.

During the last few weeks, I've been trying to get organized on Saturday nights and its helped a lot. I can't say that the Sunday Morning Mommy Monster is absolutely dead or that we've arrived at church perfectly on time, but we're getting there. This past Sunday, we even arrived at church during the opening prayer and I wasn't feeling stressed at all. We're making a lot of progress and when Flashlight sees me putting in the effort, he tries harder too.

How have slain your inner demons?

1 comments:

LAR Girl said...

I have not slain my inner demons. I find that the house is terribly terribly disorganized and I have this annoying superstition that it needs to be clean and perfectly organized before the new year. We find that picking stuff out for everyone the night before saves us so much time in the morning, especially when Sassafrass changes her mind about what she wants to wear and how she wants her hair done. Beau Brummel is an excellent helper. He gets the church bag ready and often picks out the kids outfit. We really do split up all the getting ready for church stuff and when everyone is helping everything goes much smoother.