CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dummy Dilemma

Headbanger, who will be two in a few months, is hooked on her dummy/pacifier, even though she only gets it when she sleeps. I would be happy for this to continue, but she often wakes up during naps and in the middle of the night and can't find the beloved pacifier. She then starts to cry, waking everyone up, and continues to cry until I find it and give it back to her. I've used pacifier tethers, clips and strings, but she knows how to remove them and usually does.

I would really like to get rid of the pacifier but I'm dreading all of the crying that will happen before she learns to live without it. I have a goal of throwing the last one in the bin by the end of the month, but I doubt that I'll have to resolve to do it.

So I need to hear your dummy tips and experiences. Are there ways to make this process less painful? Should we just throw it out and make her go cold turkey?

1 comments:

LAR Girl said...

Jedi had his pacifier until he was 2 1/2. I think this is way too old, but I have seen older. In Spain they let them have them until they are 5! Anyway, the best method I have heard it to clip a little of the end of the pacifier each day. It gets harder and harder for them to hold until it gives them no pleasure at all and they end of tossing it aside themselves because they can barely hang on to it with their teeth. Make sure you get rid of all but one and then do the above method with the one. Jedi had them hidden everywhere in the house. I would take them away from him and he would just walk away and come back with another. We have pictures of him trying to hold 10 at a time with three in his mouth. He was truly addicted to them, but he is almost 10 mow and doesn't use one so there is hope for your child. Make sure she has some other less offensive comfort object like a stuffed animal or a blankie to replace the pacifier during the weaning period.