CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nostalgia

This post is a little blast from the past for me. I was reading my cousin's blog today and she had posted their recent visit to Veyo Pool.... and the memories came rushing back. Veyo Pool is in Crawdad Canyon, Utah (near St. George). This wonderful getaway was built in 1927 using the hot springs at the bottom of the canyon. Through the years they added a dance floor, picnic areas, dressing rooms, a wonderful café and snack bar, rock climbing and a few other things The pool is located at the bottom of very narrow canyon with high black rock walls. I remember going there often as a child and whenever I think of it, my mind is flooded with dreamy thoughts and images of my childhood days. I used to do swimming lessons at Veyo and I even experienced one of my most embarrassing moments there. When I was about 8 or 9 years old, I had summer swimming lessons. To save time and bag space, I had formulated a brilliant plan to put on my bathing suit and put my dry clothes over it and then all I had to carry was a towel. This worked really well until I undressed and went out on the pool deck for warm up exercises with everyone. About half way through, I realized that I had forgotten to remove my underpants (they were still over my swimsuit)... and not only that, but they were pink silky ones with white ruffles around the edges. I was mortified and ran straight back to the locker room... I don't remember much of what happened after that, I just remember being totally humiliated. hahaha.... I find it so funny now, though. Anyhoo.... this is a very ordinary pool, rectangle with a diving board and a slide. There's a snack bar where we got a treat or corn dog afterwards (the absolute BEST corndogs you've ever tasted!). They had air hockey tables, and there was a small creek near the pool where we caught crawfish. Ahhhh.... those were the days! .
What places or things bring back some of your best memories?

2 comments:

Nancy Ross said...

I live near the Veyo Pool, though I have never been there.

When I was a kid and later as a teenager, I went to and worked at a Girl Scout camp. This camp, unlike many of the other rich-kid camps in the area, had very little in the way of exciting amenities but I always had a great time. When I was 13, the camp took the older girls on a week-long canoe trip that was so much fun. We got to stay the night on a series of islands in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine and it felt like a real adventure.

Molly said...

You definately need to visit the pool- there's no other place like it! and have a corn dog (they call them "pronto pups") just for me :)