CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

C'est la rentrée des mamans!



Hi everyone! The title of this post comes from an invitation I received when I was living in France 6 years ago for a mama tea party to celebrate the first day of school. In France, the return to school is called "La Rentée". This invitation implies that it's a new beginning for kids AND their moms.

I have been a homeschooler for two years but this year all three of my children will be going to school all day. Homeschooling, for us, has been an attempt to open the world to our children, expand their experience and exposure to new (and old) ideas. We are living in France until Christmas and it just seemed like keeping them home would be contrary to our philosphy of education. So, we met with the director of the school yesterday and away we go! The kids are nervous but were very comforted by the charming, personable man sitting across the table from them at the school. He told them that his main goal for them would be to become great French speakers, to learn about French culture and to make some friends. He wasn't interested in sweating the rest. I like him already.

I have always loved the fall and the new possibilities it brings, It has always been a more natural time for me than the New Year to start fresh, make plans, get involved, learn something new. I feel energized after a summer of vacations and lounging, late nights, popsicles and ice cream. I feel so excited this year to have some time to pursue some of my interests in France. I want to exercise and take classes, romance my husband and sit in cafés reading books.

I know many of you may have young children who aren't in school yet but you can still have plans! Let's here them ladies!

3 comments:

LAR Girl said...

France sounds awesome. I agree with Fall being a time for new beginnings and plans. I am taking a Spanish class taught by my husband:), but at the University. I am leading/teaching a knitting circle at our local library. I have tons of Fall cleaning and organizing to do and a bathroom to paint:( I plan on learning how to swim and running again. I think I might do the Dam Half Half Marathon Run in October with a friend. For that I am not planning on trying to place, but just trying to finish at all even if I have to walk part of it. I have a new friend to bike with, but she is a beginner so I might have to do a hard ride and then pick her up for an easy one at first. I guess my main plans for enjoyment and progress are to learn how to swim, really improve my Spanish and make physical fitness a bigger part of my life.

Willow said...

Wow Opal! I'm excited to hear how your fall progresses. I wish I could be there to swim/bike/run with you. Maybe in the cold, dark days of January...Good luck with Spanish class-what a blast!

hmaimai said...

Where are you living in France? Too bad I go to Cambridge next month. Maybe we could have met at some café in Paris looking at Parisians and eating a Poire belle Helene.