CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

College Student Cleanout Freebies




At the end of the school year the college students around here throw out perfectly good and mostly almost new items. They literally put lamps, desks, chairs and the like in and around dumpsters. This year I picked up some really good stuff. Anything I don't end up using I can sell at the Neighbors and Newcomers' annual yard sale. A lot of professors and people in the community will dumpster dice for stuff. This is also when the people who live in vans down by the river come out (no joke!). I didn't actually come to blows with any river people, I just asked them politely if they were going to take a certain item and if not, could they help me take it out of the dumpster. I did have to powerwash a few items, but I think it was worth it. Beau Brummel said he would only get stuff if there was no one around and if it wasn't actually in the dumpster. I had no such reservations.


Here's what I found: cotton candy machine (which we have had no end of fun with), desk from IKEA, small trash can, dolly, clothes drying rack, hat rack, set of plastic drawers, white flower pots, basket, beanbag, small area rug, microwave, cooler, 2 full length mirrors, electric kettle, four slice toaster, Hamilton Beach single serve blender with travel lid (perfect for protein shakes), corduroy purse, new broom and dustpan, shoe rack, and some small plastic shelves.

I would also have had a new aquarium, but a river person got it first. I would have gotten a brand new futon, but Beau Brummel wouldn't let me load it into the mini van because he was afraid one of his students would see him. Don't tell him, but one of his students (whom I've actually met before) did see me pull a beanbag out of the dumpster. Next year I am getting a babysitter and camping out by the dumpsters on College Student Cleanout weekend, who knows . . . I might luck out and get a mini fridge.

2 comments:

Susan said...

You scored big time! So I went by a dumpster with my kids and they grabbed a great globe and a box of various items (a plug in meat grill thing-do you want it?) As the kids were going through the box to see what we did and didn't want, the U. police stopped us and said, "hey, are you the people who have been inside the buildings prowling around for stuff?" No we weren't, but we were busted. On our first pass no less! He told me there had been some complaints from students of people inside.."Hey are you finished with that roll of tp?"

LAR Girl said...

Yes, I might want that plug in meat griller thing. That is hilarious about people going in the buildings to get stuff. It must be them river folk. A professor's wife would never stoop so low (unless it is to grab something in or around a dumpster).