CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mantuary, a Room of His own

Beau Brummel showed me this article about the Mantuary phenomenon. It is basically the idea that your husband has a room to himself that he can decorate any way he wants and fill with things he likes to do: pool table, old sports trophies, poster from Star Wars, etc., and women and kids are not allowed in there unless they ask first or are invited. I actually think this is a cool idea, but only if the wives fan also have some sort of galtuary.


Beau Brummel's mantuary would contain: first and foremost the ultimate TV-watching lazyboy, a nice big HDTV with a cable package that includes European soccer, mini-fridge stocked with lemonade and chocolate milk plus a cabinet containing Snowballs and donut gems, a toy basketball hoop in a corner and several blow up balls for kicking and shooting around. The decor would be stuff from his travels as well as paraphernalia from his glory days (pictures of himself playing soccer, trophies, a shrine to himself), props and costumes for his movie making, computer with iMovie on it, a Fusball table that doubles as a ping pong table.

If I had a galtuary it would have tons of built-in shelves for all my craft stuff, computer, comfy couch to read on, huge table for sewing and scrapbooking. I would decorate it really fun and funky and colorful and modern with tons of pictures I have taken on the walls. It would have a normal size tv and its own cable box so I could record all the shows that conflict with Beau Brummels. I would also have a rock climbing wall, a kick boxing dummy and a spin bike. I would also be able to take virtual group exercise classes from my TV.

What about you all? What would go in your galtuary? What would your husband put in his man cave?

4 comments:

Nancy Ross said...

My galtuary would have built-in bookshelves with all of my books, a Steinway grand piano, a cupboard that is always full of really dark chocolate brownies and a small lap pool. Is that too much for one room?

Susan said...

I think I would want mine to be a simple retreat from my ordinarily chaotic life. Yep, simplicity would definitely have to rule. I would want warm colors on the walls, a small table with a candle and maybe even a fire place for the winter. A stereo of some kind, a comfortable chair with a blanket within arms reach so I could fall asleep whenever I felt like it! My guitar in the corner, a cozy rug on the floor for yoga and dancing and a big beautiful window, through which I could watch birds, the moon, etc.

Does anyone ever dance when they're alone?

Opal, I think yours sounds fun, can I come visit when it's ready?

I think my husband's (I don't have a name for him yet) space would have bookshelves and a cozy reading chair, pictures of places and people he loves, lots of ways to make music-trumpet, guitar, etc., a stereo, lots of natural light, a writing desk, a stash of sweets and a secret passage for me to sneak in.

LAR Girl said...

Yes, willow, you are definitely invited once my galtuary is complete. I dance when I am alone all the time to LOUD music, it makes the dishes and laundry folding bearable. I forgot to add a gourmet chef's kitchenette and fridge. The freezer would be full of Ben and Jerry's and Hagen Daz ice cream and creamies (a Utah favorite in chocolate and banana).

Molly said...

I think my galtuary would have a hot tub, retractable ceiling, comfy chaise lounge with a small bookshelf loaded with my favorite books and a reading light. There would also be a scrapbooking corner with tables and shelves, and a small freezer loaded with cheesecake that I made. I would also have built in stereo & speakers to play soothing music. Oh, and my galtuary is soundproof- so I can't hear the chaos outside and for the occasional steamy night with my hubby.