CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

T-shirt Surgery


This shirt (my dad's old one) started out as a Men's XL and I snipped and sewed it so it would fit my somewhat smaller and more curvy frame. Here's how I did it:


Materials:
1 shirt that is way too big for you
1 shirt that fits perfectly
scissors
pins
sewing machine
thread in a matching or contrasting color

1. Turn the way too big shirt inside out and smooth out wrinkles on a flat surface.
2. Lay perfect fit shirt over too big shirt lining up collars and shoulders as much as possible.
3. Cut too big shirt 1/2" bigger than perfect fit shirt using perfect fit as a guide.
4. Pin edges of newly cut too big shirt together (don't pin armholes shut).
5. Sew 1/4" from the raw edge of the shirt. The sleeve and bottom of edge of the shirt will roll         unless you hem them, but that gets a little advanced. I did hem the sleeves and bottom of the     blue shirt above. 

This is a fun project for YW or just yourself. I have performed surgery on quite a few of my dad's old shirts. Some have turned out great and others not so much. My feeling is that since I live in t-shirts and jeans, I can never have enough t-shirts. And since I's po' folk I am making new t-shirts out of old ones lying around. My next project is skirts. If you like to sew check out ETSY and Sew Subversive. 

1 comments:

Ms. Jones said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try this.