CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Good,


I had such a blast at Girls Camp this past week! The theme was Reach for the Stars. I went up as a cook and a fill-in adult leader. In the kitchen I learned how to cook for a large group of people (start three hours ahead and make use of crock pots). I also got put in charge of making things pretty. (See my two cakes for 100 people.) I squirted ketchup in star shapes onto people's plates and fancied up the desserts a little.


I got to know a lot of young women pretty well. When I showed up at camp some of the girls and the adults thought I was a youth leader, age 17. No one believed that I was 30 and had three kids. One of the girls said, "You don't look a day over 25!" This made me realize that each year seems like an eternity when you are a teenager. It felt nice to know that I was young looking. 

The young women were for the most part really warm and fun. I noticed that I was drawn to the mischief makers, but not the jealous haters who tried to make some girls cry. 

I read my scriptures at camp and went on two mountain bike rides. The hike, while it lasted was really beautiful and semi-challenging. There was an 80-year-old woman hiking with us, I was inspired by her. I was asked to give a devotional and was terrified. I absolutely hate standing up in front of a bunch of people and talking about spiritual stuff. I came up with something pretty good and managed to deliver it shaking and bawling my eyes out, but I didn't throw up or toot so I felt pretty good about that.

I got to teach the parlez vouz francee (I know I am just murdering the spelling here) cup game and the girls already knew the other one with the hand clapping and slapping the cup and sing some silly songs I remembered from when I went to girls camp.

I felt like I bridged the gap between the adults and the teenagers and felt comfortable in both camps. One of the teenagers even invited me to her graduation party which made me feel cool. I had tons of fun with the girls and the women (but more with the girls probably because I am so immature). I became a lot closer to some of the women in my ward. I have a new BFF who is 20 years older than me.

There is an awesome little hole in the wall handmade ice cream parlor called Eder's on the way to camp. I got chocolate crunch: light chocolate ice cream with marshmallows, caramel ribbon, and chunks of dark and white chocolate.

If they want me, I will definitely go back next year, but leave my knitting and books at home since I didn't really get much free time. I really appreciated my kids (for still being little and without too much attitude) and my husband for taking care of them so well while I was gone. There is nothing like a week of real live drama to make you appreciate your own life and make you feel appreciated upon your return.

4 comments:

Nancy Ross said...

I'm glad that you had a good time away from home. The last time I went to YW camp was in England and it was so much fun.

Melissa said...

I can't believe some of the stuff that happened at girls camp. I have yet to go to any sort of girls camp event, but I don't think I could handle all the teen drama, or the mean girl phenomenon. Isn't it nice having the experience to be a impartial observer?

LAR Girl said...

Yes, it was nice to be removedish from the drama, but it was really hard for me to not show who my favorites were. Naturally, they were the fun ones and not the haters. I know that the most unlovable people are the ones you should love the most, but man do they make it hard!

Susan said...

You're going to be running that camp next year Opal, I can see it now! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm sure the girls loved you. You're so fun and you seem to fit in anywhere. It sounds like a roller coaster ride of the highest order. I'm not sure how I would do with all that. I get cranky on three hours of sleep.