CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 14, 2008

My First Braids by a Pro



I am going camping with a bunch of teenage girls next week and wanted to put my hair in braids like I used to in college and at Girls' Camp. I have actually done it myself or had a friend do it many times, but I have never had it done by a professional. 

I have an African American friend who very generously spent 6 hours straight braiding my hair today. She put a lot of Carol's Daughter Loc Butter as well as gel in my hair as she was braiding it so it is a little greasy feeling. To make it last as long as possible I have to sleep with it wrapped in a headscarf, wash it very gently and wrap the top part up until it dries to keep it from getting frizzy. 

When she was doing the straight down braids in the back it felt really nice, like when Beau Brummel plays with my hair when we are watching TV together. The top/front of my hair was a different story though, it hurt a lot. Tears were coming out of my eyes when she was doing the little corn rows on top. I think she got excited that she was so close to being done that she hurried and got a little rough with lots of yanking and pulling. But it was worth it. She keeps her own hair in dreadlocks, but braids her daughter's hair in lots of different styles every week.

She was telling me funny stories about when she would get her hair braided in Philadelphia by women who only spoke Patois. Once she ended up staying in the salon until 1:30 a.m. to get it done because the braid were so tiny. Sometimes getting your hair braided is a 2-3 day process. She also said that often her head hurt so badly after getting it braided that she would have to take Tylenol and lay down for the rest of the day. I guess I got off easy with a slight headache, but it looks so cool I don't really mind. Beau Brummel says I look like I could be half African American. When I first looked in the mirror after she was done, I said, "Wow! I look like Alicia Keyes!" (I know, wishful thinking:)

3 comments:

Susan said...

They look great! All the girls at camp are going to want you to stay up all night and do their hair. Do you find yourself doing cool things just so you can write about them on your blog? I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

LAR Girl said...

No Willow, I don't do cool things just so I can write about them on the blog:), my life is just really cool and I happen to write about it on the blog. Actually, sometimes I hold back, if you can believe it, so that other people have room to write stuff. I have about 3 more things I want to post, but am deciding if they are blog worthy.

Nancy Ross said...

the hair looks great! I always braid my hair (though not in such cool ways) before I go camping. Have fun!