CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 22, 2008

Here's what I don't understand

I don't understand how women in the same situation, stay-at-home moms, can't tolerate a mom who isn't in love with being a stay at home mom. I was just over at someone's house and mentioned the fact that I didn't LOVE being a stay-at-home mom and I instantly felt like I had the plague.

While most stay-at-home moms will admit it's hard, many will not say, "It's just not my cup of tea". I remember a book a few years ago written by a stay-at-home mom who said in her text that she was bored to death by her children. She received so much criticism. While I wouldn't take it so far as to say I'm bored to death by my kids there are times when I think, "This can't be all there is".

So am I horrible? Don't I get credit for putting on a happy face (most days) and doing it anyway? Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Molly said...

you know, i really do enjoy being a stay at home mom... most days... but i have to admit that at first I nearly went crazy! I can certainly see why it's just not some people's "cup of tea"... It takes a lot of work and can be really lonely sometimes. Talking to a four-year-old all day just isn't the same as having an adult conversation... and you can only play My Little Ponies for so long before you want to flush them all down the toilet.

Nancy Ross said...

I'm glad that I'm in the financial position to be able to stay at home (though I also teach a class at the local community college) and I'm glad that I'm the one taking care of my kids (I was raised by babysitters), but I really struggle with it. There are days when I like it but there is a big part of my inner life/desire/ambition that is not being fulfilled by staying at home. I recently finished a Ph.D and I love my academic work. When my kids start school, I will definitely go back to work.

You need to love your kids, but you don't need to love being a stay-at-home mom

Ms. Jones said...

I definitely love the kiddos but miss life outside of this life. I also have my PhD. What is your PhD. in Chicken little? Mine is in Family Relations and Child Development

LAR Girl said...

I agree that you need to love your kids (which I know you do!). It is ok and totally normal to not love staying at home all the time. There are days when I don't like it at all. It does take a lot of hard work that usually goes unrecognized. But I think you should feel really proud that you do what you do. I know you gave up a lot careerwise to be with your children. They will love you for it and there will be time later on in life to do stuff for yourself.

Don't feel bad about what other moms say. I am sure they feel too guilty to say what you said because our religion stresses the importance of being a stay at home mom. I think you doing great and it shows. Your kids are smart and polite and clean. I can tell that they get lots of love and care and attention.

Does anyone love their job all the time? I'm sure even people who have what seem like fun jobs (ice cream taster, singer, actress, fashion designer and on and on) have days when they hate what they do.

I think I have a very love-hate relationship with being a stay at home mom and I think it will always be that way.