CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 22, 2008

Hot Peppers

Okay, so I found this recipe on the food network from the Emeril Live show. It looked AWESOME so I decided to try it out. The recipe calls for "habanero" peppers... and it seems that I know NOTHING about peppers. So I went to the store and bought some and thought, "hmmm, I wonder if they're hot"... so I cut them up and after I finished, I kept smelling them and couldn't detect any sign that they were spicy. So I licked my finger, just to see... ummm... yeah, so I had to put my tongue under the faucet with cold water running for about 10 minutes! I felt really dumb. And, as an added bonus, my fingertips have been burning ever since (it's been 2 days!). So, the moral of this story? Habanero peppers are REALLY HOT and you should wear protective gloves when you're chopping them.

p.s. I only added about 1/2 of the habaneros that the recipe called for and it was plenty hot for me (I'm a bit wimpy, though)... but the recipe itself is AWESOME!!! Try it!


Bayou Chicken Pasta

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2006
Show: Emeril Live
Episode: Emeril's Island Favorites

1 pound linguine

1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons Emeril's Bayou Blast Essence
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped habanero pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water
1/2 cup chopped green onion tops
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Set a large 1-gallon stock pot of water to a boil and add the kosher salt. Place the linguine in the pot and stir until the water returns to a boil. Cook the pasta until tender, but with a bit of resistance (al dente), about 12 minutes.
While the pasta cooks, prepare the sauce. Set a 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and olive oil to the pan. Once the butter has melted, season the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the Essence and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and add the chicken to the pan. Sear the chicken until well browned on both sides, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions and habaneros to the pan and saute until the onions are softened and lightly caramelized, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the cream, remaining 1 tablespoon of Essence, remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, and the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook the sauce until the cream is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, linguine and the reserved cooking water to the pan and cook, tossing to incorporate for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and add the green onions, Parmesan and parsley and toss to blend. Serve immediately.

5 comments:

LAR Girl said...

Hey I am totally going to try that. Beau Brummel (my husband has a totally wimpy mouth when it comes to spicy stuff so maybe I will try a milder pepper like jalepenos, the canned kind.

LAR Girl said...

I am so glad you are going to be on here. Where are you guys right now? Did you ever get out of that sticky situation with a certain someone wanting you to be legal guardians of her kids? How are you guys?

Nancy Ross said...

My husband and I love habaneros. They pack a real punch and have a great flavor. But WARNING: DO NOT COOK WITH HABANEROS IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON GETTING AMOROUS IN THE EVENING! That burning sensation on your fingers will end up in all the wrong places!

Ms. Jones said...

Thanks for the recipe. Love the whole tongue thing. Not sure I'm talented enough to attempt the recipe. Was it hard?

Molly said...

Whoa! thanks for the tip about habanero-tainted fingers in bed, I wouldn't have thought of that! And ms. jones, the recipe was really easy... except for the tongue burning part.