CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Far from home

I am currently in Siena Italy traveling with a friend. I landed in Venice and from there took a train to Florence. Venice was interesting because of the location on the water, there are no cars and you travel everywhere by water taxis. The only thing is that the Euro is so expensive now! Its about 1.70 to every 1 euro. The people in Venice never smile....excuse me anywhere in Italy they never smile! I was looked at like I was crazy because I smiled the first few days. It didn't take me very long to find out the reason. The water taxis take forever to come so its very frustrating and freezing. There streets are so small and full of so many people that your constantly feeling like a sardine. Water is not free and with the exchange your sometimes paying 4 to 5 dollars a bottle. Florence was worse. I stayed in the heart of Florence down town next to the Duomo. Unfortunately the window of our hotel room was facing a bar! Ah yes one other important detail of Italy, the bars don't close until 3 or 4 in the morning. We were told that the food in Italy was very good and portioned healthy. This is just not so. In restaurants they serve you huge pizzas that are nothing like American Pizzas. Salads are piratically no where to be found and usually are much more expensive. Walking around can be frustrating because the streets are very small and easy to miss. Using a map can be dangerous because its a give away that your lost. Gypsies are in everytown begging and steeling what they can. Its my opinion that I will need a vacation after this vacation.

2 comments:

LAR Girl said...

Whaaa! I am sorry your vacation is not the vacation you dreamed about! But I have never been to Italy so your description was very informative. I have learned my lesson about the whole looking like a tourist thing, but the truth is that Europeans can spot an American tourist 10 miles away. I think it has something to do with smiling and also the way we dress (too casual according to my European friends). Anyway, maybe after your vacation you will really looking forward to getting back to work! Thanks for posting.

Molly said...

I absolutely LOVE Italy!!! I'm sorry that your experience hasn't been the best. I served my mission there and I have been back several times since. I agree that it is VERY different from the good 'ol USA, but I love it for that very reason. Real italian pizza is my favorite, and if you buy water at little supermarkets it's only about $1 for a 2 liter bottle. Italian hot chocolate is LIQUID LOVE!!! If you ever have a chance to try it, it's awesome!!! It's really thick and wonderful- and you get it from the bars. Also the gelato (ice cream) is divine!!! I love all the little streets, they have so much charm and history! Ahhh... I LOVE IT!!! I hope the rest of your vacation is better!