CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Worst thing I ever did (as a mum)

Last summer, I turned 30 as well. My objective for the next decade was to become an organized mum. Not the one I've been until then, always tired, sometimes exhausted, running after my kids, being utterly unprepared for everything (like going out without nappies or water for the baby or coming to somebody's house without a gift). I had decided I was not young anymore and could not benefit from this kind look from others "oh, poor young mum". It was time for some change. It started pretty bad. I did the worst thing I had ever done in my life during the summer. Being at the beach with relatives, we split in 2 groups, the ones that come home on foot, the ones that take the car. My husband goes with the 2 elder ones, and I am supposed to go home with the 2 small ones and all the picnic and beach things. I bring all the stuff to the car, attach the baby, attach my nephew in the other child seat (while my daughter aged 2 had gone back to the beach playing), my sister in law gets in the passenger seat and I turn back, see that the 2 child seats are taken, I drive home. 30 minutes later, my husband comes home and ask :"where is Bouclette?". The sister in law and I immediately realize that we totally forgot her! My husband and I rushed back and found her at the beach in a police car. I think if we had not found her alive safe and sound, my marriage would have not survived this could-have-been tragedy. The conclusion I draw from this event is that I should never put myself in such state of exhaustion where I can not pay attention anymore.

2 comments:

Molly said...

I constantly worry that one day I'll forget one of my children somewhere because I'm so frazzled... how terrifying!!! I'm glad it turned out well for you!

LAR Girl said...

I would not feel too terrible about this, similar things happen to everyone. Luckily, your daughter was fine. I know many of my friends have stories along the same lines.

Just this past Monday I took my kids to the park and we all saw a lot of friends from school and preschool. All of our kids were running around together and so I was chatting and not being as vigilant as usual about where each one was. My friend looks up and says, "Is that Ian over there?" He was on the other side of the park standing on top of a climbing wall that is about 7 feet high. The climbing wall is only about 6 feet from the street as well. There were some parents over there with him and apparently they were all playing hide and seek. I ran over there and grabbed him off the wall and gave him a huge lecture about not going too far away and not asking me if he could go to a different part of the park.

I was mortified because he could have been kidnapped, hit by a car, broken his neck from falling off the wall or any number of things. I should have said thank you to the parents that were playing with him, but I was so embarrassed that I just rushed away.

I think I need to get HotDog one of those bracelets that has a sensor that beeps on a bracelet you are wearing when your child gets too far away just for the park. It isn't relaxing at all to go to the park and have to visually keep track of three children amongst 50 in a large area.