CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

That's Love 3

This isn't anything major, but I read to each kid individually every single night. Jedi likes Harry Potter so he only gets about 5 pages read to him, PetShopgirl gets a whole chapter of a Ramona Quimby book and HotDog gets a whole book because right now one of his books is still shorter than a half a page of the other kids' books. This takes an extra hour or more at night because they also want me to lay with them for awhile and talk. Usually I like to do this because I feel like I did not get near enough one on one time with my mom or my dad. I also am huge believer in reading almost as an extreme sport. I want my kids to know that you can travel the world or go back in time or learn new and exciting things just by reading. Sometimes, after an especially rough day, I just don't feel like it, but I make myself do it anyway because I know it means a lot to them and I want them to each have some time alone with me, even if it is just a bit. Are there small things you do for your children like this? 

2 comments:

Ms. Jones said...

What a great mom. I REALLY need to do one-on-one reading with my kids. My hubby reads to them each night. He is gone all day and only has about an hour or so with them so I guess this is their time. I need to think of something productive I can do with each of my kiddos. Thanks for a push in the right direction.

hmaimai said...

I used to read to them when they were little, and it took me ages to get them to bed so I stopped. I like to do little things for them but it changes everyday. They all have different ideas and things they would like to do. Riding the bike, growing flowers, baking a cake, sewing a bed curtain (like a princess), having a swing or a slide indoor... All sorts of ideas that take time to implement and require patience and skills from them.