CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A knock-knock joke that will make you laugh

Opal*Q asked where my screen name came from. She might be sorry. Here's the long version of the story.

My husband, Muscles' company was recently acquired by a regional CPA firm here in the SF Bay Area. So now, after 4 plus years of freedom, he has a boss. Being the domesticated woman that I am, I offered to have the new boss, let's call him Cross Yourself (he's very Catholic), over to dinner with his wife. I don't think I've ever been so nervous to have someone over for dinner in my life. Dinner went well and they are both very nice people. We ate Sesame Pork Ribs over jasmine rice and Roasted Asparagus (I do love living in California!). I guess I'll post the recipes since it seems at least a few posters are foodies. I digress. Back to the point.

After dinner, we were sitting around on the couch talking while Going on 16 and Mama's Boy were doing their very best to be the centers of attention. So, they started telling knock-knock jokes. I thought I had heard them all. Even the not so funny ones. Turns out Cross Yourself has a favorite and he shared it with Mama's Boy. I got such a kick out of it I decided to make part of it my screen name. Here it goes:

Cross Yourself: Knock knock
Mama's Boy: Who's there?
Cross Yourself: Dwayne the bathtub.
Mama's Boy: Dwayne the bathtub who?
Cross Yourself: Dwayne the bathtub, I'm dwooonnning.
Me: Almost rolling on the floor.

Maybe you had to be there but, it worked in the moment. Try it on your kids and hubbies.

Here are the recipes:

Sesame Pork Ribs

3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. honey
2 T cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (more if you like it hot!)
1 med. onion, sliced
4 lbs. boneless country-style pork ribs
1-2 T cornstarch
2 T sesame seeds, toasted
2 T chopped scallions

In a medium bowl combine the first 7 ingredients. Place onions in bottom of a slow-cooker; arrange ribs in a single layer on top of onions, pour sauce over ribs. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the pork is almost falling apart. Remove ribs to a platter, strain sauce, pour into a fat separator. Pour sauce into a sauce pan. Mix a few tablespoons of cold water with the cornstarch to make a slurry and add to the hot sauce. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 1 minute or until thick. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions. Serve over hot rice or on rolls.

Oven Roasted Asparagus
This recipe is so simple and it is my favorite, healthy way to eat asparagus.

1.5 lbs. asparagus, washed and trimmed
1-2 T olive oil
generous kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. Lay asparagus on sheet pan and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for about 6-8 minutes depending on thickness- 6 min. for pencil sized, up to 8 min. for average size. I don't like to use the really thick spears, as they tend to be a little tough. They should be just fork tender when you take them out. No droopy moustaches when you lift them up! These babies were made to be a bit crunchy. I love asparagus! If you're feeling froggy, sprinkle on some grated Parmesan cheese.

1 comments:

LAR Girl said...

I used to call E's (friend with blond hair) dad Dwayne the tub, I'm dwowning (in my head). The asparagus sounds yummy! I wonder if I could change the meat to chicken or turkey?